Dance Company Attendance Policy
- Dancers will not miss rehearsals or weekly classes due to a conflict with another activity that is not required for school or related to religious obligations, long-term illness or injury.
- If a dancer wish to participate on a school dance team/club/play/etc, he/she is welcome to do so as long as if a conflict should arises, he/she puts the Competition Team commitment first and not miss rehearsals or weekly classes.
- Taking class with teammates is extremely important. In order to represent J & D Dance Academy at competitions dancers must train at J & D Dance Academy. This means that dancers agree to train weekly only at J & D Dance Academy in the styles offered at the studio including ballet, pointe, tap, jazz, contemporary, hip hop, and musical theater. Dancers agree to not take classes in these styles at other studios. Dancers are welcome to train elsewhere in styles not offered by J & D such as ballroom, bollywood, Irish step dance, but will not let this activity interfere with regular rehearsals or weekly classes.
- If a dancer is physically unable to dance due to a minor physical/health issue (I.e. ankle sprain, pulled muscle) he/she will still attend all rehearsals and weekly classes and observe.
- If a dancer has a contagious illness (ie strep throat, pink eye, etc), he/she will stay home, notify J & D staff as soon as possible, and will present a doctor’s clearance note before returning to class.
- Dancers are allowed to have a few excused absences during the season. Excused absences include events *required* for school such as National Honors Society Induction Ceremony, SAT Testing, ArtsFest, band/chorus concerts, Nature’s Classroom, etc. Other ‘excused’ absences include: death in the family, hospitalization/surgery, and religious obligations. If a dancer has any events considered to be excused absences wherein he/she can inform the J & D staff of a date/time ahead of time, he/she will do so as soon as possible to allow them to plan accordingly.
- Dancers agree to miss no more than 2 rehearsals per competition routine or 3 classes per weekly class during the 2019-2020 season for reasons considered to be ‘unexcused’. ‘Unexcused’ absences include things like vacations, birthday parties, concerts etc. If a dancer exceeds this number of absences, he/she will either be required to pay for additional private lessons for each absence over the limit or he/she will forfeit their place on the Competition Team.
LONG-TERM INJURY, ILLNESS, HOSPITALIZATION
- Dancers are required to bring a doctor’s note to the studio giving full clearance to resume normal activities, before returning to classes.
- Dancers must be in all classes and rehearsals, dancing at full capacity (with doctor’s clearance) one full week prior to competition/performance in order to compete or perform in that event.
- In the event an alternate is put in a dancer's place, said dancer will be supportive of this person and the team, and will do his/her best to assist as much as possible. Dancers understand that it’s 100% normal to feel sad about not being able to participate, but also realize the impact this may have on everyone else on the team. Dancers will conduct themselves with good sportsmanship and do his/her best to stay positive, focusing on recovery and all upcoming events.
- Dancers will give my costumes to the studio for alternates to wear in his/her place at performances or competitions. Costumes will be returned to me afterwards.
Directors may re-block dances or put an alternate in my position to prepare for an upcoming performance or competition.
COMPETITION/PERFORMANCE WEEK AND ABSENCES
- Dancers agree to not miss any rehearsals or weekly classes one full week prior to a competition or performance for a reason considered to be ‘unexcused’ as outlined above.
- If a dancer does miss class or rehearsal competition week, for a reason considered to be unexcused, he/she understand that he/she will not be allowed to compete or perform in that event. In this case, said dancer will give costumes for all routines back to the studio for use at the upcoming event, and will do whatever possible to assist with an alternate filling the position. He/she will forfeit all prepaid competition fees. If choreography needs to be adjusted and/or extra rehearsals are required to get the team prepared to compete, he/she will be billed for the time.
- If a serious, extenuating circumstance arises the week of a competition (ie death in the family, hospitalization/surgery), dancers agree to communicate with all J & D staff as soon as possible to determine a plan of action. He/she understands that these types of circumstances will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and that course of action chosen will be what’s best for the team as a whole. This may mean that said dancer is not allowed to perform or compete in the event. In this case, he/she will give my costumes for all routines back to the studio for use at the upcoming event, and will do whatever possible to assist with an alternate filling the position. Dancer will forfeit all prepaid competition fees. If choreography needs to be adjusted and/or extra rehearsals are required to get the team prepared to compete, he/she may be billed for the time.